what to do after an IP change

Lars E. Pettersson lars at homer.se
Wed Aug 4 12:53:50 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-08-04 at 14:26, William Hooper wrote:
>>> 127.0.0.1     my_hostname my_hostname.my_domain.tld localhost
>>>

>> No, do not do that, that is not correct. It may work, but it is not
the
>> correct way to do it.
>
> This is what Anaconda does if you put in a host name during the
> install.

Sure about that? This is what anaconda put in my /etc/hosts on a test
machine that I set up last week (Fedora Core 2), given a hostname during
install (can one give a hostname without also giving a IP-number?) I can
give it a try setting it up as using DHCP also and see what happens then
(have not seen the behaviour you mention before, but I may have missed
something in how anaconda behaves, I seldom install from scratch :-)

----snip
127.0.0.1               localhost.localdomain localhost
192.168.0.1             maggie.home.rpz maggie
----snip

> It is also perfectly valid if your machine is something like
> a laptop using DHCP, which may or may not be connected to a network.

Well, one may do that, but I would then place those after localhost,
i.e. (disregard the line break, all should be on one line)

127.0.0.1               localhost.localdomain localhost
my_hostname.my_domain.tld my_hostname

And I also so no point in adding hostnames to the 127.0.0.1 line if that
hostname is connected to certain static IP-number. It is the better to
add a line for that IP-number and hostname.

The main point I would like to stress is, do not remove
"localhost.localdomain localhost" on the 127.0.0.1 line, I think you
agree on that.

/Lars
--
Lars E. Pettersson <lars at homer.se>