Ok to build kernel on FC2 for RHL7.3 system?

Steve Snyder swsnyder at insightbb.com
Wed Aug 4 14:57:39 UTC 2004

Is there any reason I couldn't build the current 2.4.x kernel on my FC2
system for use on a RHL 7.3 box?  Both are x86 machines.

My understanding is that the kernel is pretty much self-contained.  If
true, the very different GLibC libraries between systems shouldn't be a
problem.

My RHL 7.3 machine is very old and slow (just used as a firewall box).
Building on my modern FC2 system would be a lot faster.  As a side
benefit, the FC2 system has a more recent compiler, which might result in
better code generation.

So... any reason I couldn't do this?

Thanks.