qmail conversion smtps?

Alexander Dalloz alexander.dalloz at uni-bielefeld.de
Wed Aug 4 16:25:29 UTC 2004

Am Mi, den 04.08.2004 schrieb Jonathan T. Steadman um 17:40:

> I have converted to sendmail after all the irritation I got from
> installing sendmail, and it is just about up already, a lot more simple
> then sendmail with all the correct packages, anyways I have not yet
> figured out how to set up smtps which is a priority for me so I can send
> mail remotely w/o fear of passwords being stolen and others using my
> mail server.  anyways any help on that would be great also pop3s but
> that is not such a big deal being I am now using imaps, in fact I might
> just not even use pop anymore.

Do I understand you right that you converted from qmail to Sendmail,
right?

Well, SMTPS is first offered by Sendmail release 8.13.0, before it was
only a FFR (for future release). As it is not compiled as FFR with the
Fedora Sendmail you can't use SMTPS with it.

But you can use STARTTLS which has the same intention and works good.
You need to create a certificate and adjust the sendmail.mc file. This
was already discussed here in length and I posted some links to
documentation. So what is your specific problem?

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 2 (Tettnang) kernel 2.6.7-1.494.2.2smp
Serendipity 18:21:35 up 11:49, 8 users, 1.01, 0.32, 0.23