how to change my source address in sendmail??

Robin Laing Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca
Wed Aug 4 17:15:02 UTC 2004

Yang Xiao wrote:

>>When using masquerading he should know that root is an exposed user and
>>thus is excluded from masquerading. And the OP explicitly mentioned the
>>case where the sender address should be root at whatever.
>>
>>Reading the cf/README is very important anyway. A smarter reading is
>>provided by the HTML formatted documentation
>>
>>http://www.sendmail.org/m4/readme.html
>>
>>Alexander
>>
>>--
>
> hi,
> point taken, I just want to add that we should discourage sending ont
> emails as the root user to the public domain. It's a huge sign saying
> "I'm new to linux and I'm haven't fully configured my system yet,
> please come and share it with me."
>
> Yang

It would be nice if there was a simple howto to accomplish the task of
getting log/error messages that normally go to root to go to a local
user.  For home users that have dynamic IP addresses and no FQDN for
their IP, this is a problem.

There is also the added problem of ISP's that have implemented higher
restrictions on mail due to spam.

I very rarely login as root and it is usually just su.  I send my mail
to my local account (totally internal) but I still cannot get it read
by Mozilla.  I can use Pine to read it though.  It is low on my
priority list.

--
Robin Laing
Instrumentation Technologist   Voice: 1.403.544.4762