Crashing problem on firstboot, FC2 install

Matt Morgan matt.morgan-fedora-list at brooklynmuseum.org
Wed Aug 4 21:04:28 UTC 2004

Scot L. Harris wrote:

>On Wed, 2004-08-04 at 16:31, Matt Morgan wrote:
>

>>I'm trying to install FC2 on my computer, a white-box with Asus
>>motherboard and hyperthreading 2.8Ghz Intel P4. I'm getting fairly
>>random crashing upon firstboot ("random" meaning the point at which is
>>crashes varies, but it always crashes).
>>

>Have you tried booting to single user mode?  Or run level 3 to eliminate
>X as the problem?

I was able to boot to single-user mode. I don't remember trying run
level 3. But it did not seem like X had anything to do with it, since
the crashes occurred at various times in the boot process ("starting
sshd," "starting cups," etc.).

>And to eliminate some of the possible hardware issues have you run a
>memory test just to make sure your memory is not flaky?

I have not, but I've been using FC1 on this computer very successfully
for a while now. But that's a good point--I'll definitely try a memory
test next time I try FC2. Thanks for the tip.

>What kind of harddrives are you using?

ATA; one WD 80Gb drive. A Sony CD-RW is on the other IDE bus.

>What does your partition table look like?  Particularly the swap
>partition as it seems that may be a sticking point.

I may not remember exactly, but I think I had 200Mb of /boot, 6Gb of /
(root), 512Mb of swap (to match my RAM), and then the remainder /home.
Grub was in the MBR.

>Are you dual booting?

No, it was a clean install on formatted partitions.

Thanks!