SB Audigy and modem

Aaron Gaudio prothonotar at tarnation.dyndns.org
Wed Aug 4 21:14:21 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-08-04 at 21:34 +0100, Rahul Sadotra wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have installed Fedora Core 2 just a few days ago,
> and upgraded the Linux kernel to 2.6.7-1.494.2.2
> earlier today.  Overall I am very impressed with
> Fedora Core 2.
>
> However, I am not getting any sound from my Sound
> Blaster Audigy sound card when I use Fedora Core 2.
>
> - When I play music from my music CDs no output comes
>   out from my speakers.
> - When I run the "Soundcard detection" option (as
> root,
>   obviously) and try to play the sample, no output.

I have a Soundblaster Audigy 32 PCI card and it works fine.

Are you able to play sound files as a normal user, using esdplay,
alsaplay, sox, etc?

Usually, CD music does not go through the OS driver, it goes through
that little analog multimedia cable that connects directly from your CD/
DVD player to your soundcard (some newer devices support a direct
digital cable, I think). If you are only having problems playing CD
music, chances are that cable is missing or loose.

XMMS can use digital CD audio extraction, so you don't need that little
cable; some say this improves the quality of the music, but the downside
is that eats up your IDE bus bandwidth. In XMMS, go to Preferences-
>Audio I/O Plugins->CD Audio Player 1.2.10 and press the Configure
button. There is a checkbox to enable Digital Audio Extraction. You can
even test it by pressing the "Check drive..." button. (This might be
convenient especially if you have more than one CD/DVD drive but your
sound card only supports one analog cable).