FC2 and newest kernel update via yum.

George Avrunin avrunin at math.umass.edu
Thu Aug 5 00:40:43 UTC 2004

  EV> Hello.
  EV>
  EV>
  EV>
  EV> I run several servers using FC2. What I noticed this morning
  EV> when I updated FC2 to newest kernel update is what it seems to
  EV> be a networking problem.
  EV>
  EV> Take for example my webserver, when users download from the
  EV> server they get full speed no problems. But when they upload
  EV> files to it, it starts very slow and after 5-10seconds the
  EV> transfer stops. Mii-tool reports it's 100mbit full duplex and I
  EV> am kind of out of ideas. Could this be due to bad kernel?  When
  EV> I boot into the previus one it works perfectly.

I'm having what may be the same sort of problem, but it seems to be an
interaction with a specific network configuration (and maybe a
filtering bridge).  I'm hoping someone can give me some suggestions on
how to pin it down.

I have a Thinkpad T40 and a Dell Precision 350 running FC2.  I did the
updates on the laptop this morning from one department at the
university and found that Mozilla was unable to load web pages from
outside my department.  It would start loading and then the download
would stop.  (Web pages on the local subnet seemed ok.)  Rebooting
with kernel 2.6.6-1.435.2.3 eliminated the problem.

When I got home, I ran up2date on the Dell.  My internet connection is
through a cable modem attached to an old Compaq also running FC2 (but
not updated to the new kernel yet); it does NAT for the machines
behind it.  Mozilla seems to work fine on both the laptop and the
Dell, even for distant sites, but when I do an ssh (in a
gnome-terminal) to machines in department at workand then issue a
command that causes some traffic, the connection seems to hang after a
small number of characters (sometimes a couple of hundred, sometimes
fewer).  Connections to machines in the computer science department
(running Red Hat 8 and 9 and some version of Solaris) seem to be fine.
Again, dropping back to the earlier kernel on either the laptop or the
Dell eliminates the problem.  I tried running ethereal to see what
traffic was passing between the machines and I don't see anything
after the terminal seems to hang (but I have to admit I'm not really
sure what I'm doing with ethereal).

The department network is protected by a filtering bridge that, as far
as I know, is running some flavor of BSD.  I don't have any direct
access to the bridge, though I can ask the staff to examine the logs
tomorrow.  But I have no idea what can have changed between
2.6.6-1.435.2.3 and 2.6.7.1-494.2.2 that would cause this sort of
thing.  I'd be grateful for any suggestions about where to look.

Thanks,

  George