Yum, rsync, and mirrors

Satish Balay balay at fastmail.fm
Thu Aug 5 03:02:26 UTC 2004

On Wed, 4 Aug 2004, Michael Spanner wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Long story short: Does anyone copy or mirror the Core 2  repository with rsync
> from anywhere, and recommend that site?
>
> I'm trying to maintain a local repository of Core 2 using rsync and up until
> this morning everything was honky dorey. I'm using Georgia Tech (gatech.edu)
> as a mirror, and all of a sudden, the "headers" directory went missing under
> development/i386. I looked at some other mirrors, including the Fedora root
> site, and headers is still there.
>
> I'm not going to ask Georgia Tech to change it back, because they obviously
> reorganized it for a reason. Running yum-arch on my local copy after the rsync
> completes is really not the right solution either.
>
> From experience, can anyone recommend a mirror that's 1) fast 2) gets updated
> often and 3) is a True Mirror of Fedora?

For one - this was a problem with rawhide today morning - and
discussed in the fedora-test-list (all mirrors that synced were
affected).

Then there was another rawhide push to the mirrors which fixed things
up. Not sure why gatech isn't synced in this second update.

I've used mirrors.kernel.org (which supports rsync as well)

Satish