How to configure Adsl

Mike Ramirez mike at thexxxhost.com
Thu Aug 5 14:39:30 UTC 2004

I get that for multiple reasons. the most common are the ID 10 T ones.
Simply not having the cat5 plugged in the right ethernet port or the
cable modem is off little things like that.  But there are  other times
such as a conflicts within the network settings.  Steps that I do to fix
it:

1. turn off the firewall actually unloading iptables with /sbin/service
iptables stop; run adsl-setup again and make sure to set the FW settings
to none,try again, If it works then restart iptables and creat a new ppp
setting the FW the way you want it.

2. if that fails.  Create a new ppp conection using adsl-setup use
another ppp identifier i.e. ppp1 the try again using /sbin/if ppp1

3. Call my ISP and figure out with them what is wrong after
checking/redoing ALL my connections (including eth1 and eth0) 3 or 4
times

If your ISP is SBC/Yahoo They don't have support for linux, Cause its a
free OS?  (I asked why they didn't support it and that was the response
ttto the question like it was a quiz)  My response to that: what about
RHE?  Answer: Don't know.

BTW for ppp0 /sbin/adsl-start works just fine but not haven't figured
out if it can handle other ppp connections.