Secure Login Problem

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Thu Aug 5 14:48:33 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-08-05 at 10:11, Alexander Valdez wrote:
> I'm connecting to the internet through a dlink router. This is what I
> have in resolv.conf:
> ; generated by /sbin/dhclient-script
> search we1.client2.attbi.com
> nameserver 192.168.0.1
>
> This looks suspicious since AT&T sold the broadband business to
> comcast.
>
> Thanks Scot and Clifford. I'll experiment with the resolv.conf tonight
> and post results.
>
> As a reminder I have no problem with other sites like schwab, putnam, or
> smithbarney.
>
> Alex

Your resolv.conf does not look right.  I don't believe you should need
the search statement at all.  And the one nameserver you have listed, is
192.168.0.1 your dlink router address?

If so you really need to put nameserver entries that point to your ISP's
nameservers.  They should have at least 2 if not 3 of them that you
should have listed there.

If your D-Link router is getting its WAN address via DHCP it should also
get the nameservers for your ISP.  I am not familiar with the D-Link
routers but Linksys and Netgear allow you to use the information
provided by the ISP via DHCP to pass that info along to your LAN via the
routers DHCP service.  For my linux boxes I just hard code the DNS
entries in resolv.conf.

I am pretty sure if you do that you should get your problem resolved.

Good luck.

--
Scot L. Harris <webid at cfl.rr.com>