problems playing movies with xv and my voodoo3

Lex Hider alexeijh at pacific.net.au
Thu Aug 5 15:05:11 UTC 2004

Hi,
I'd like to preface these remarks by saying I now next to nothing about
the working of X, xv, etc.

I installed xine, mplayer and totem from livna for core 2.
When I tried to play in xine the sound worked but I only got solid blue for
the video.
Neither for totem or mplayer would play at all.

I got a solution on irc that with...
mplayer use -vo x11
xine -V xshm

now the xshm solution is far from optimal.
from http://xinehq.de/index.php/faq
"The image looks strange, it is shifted, cropped or shows weird lines!

This points to a problem with the Xv extension, which is used by xine to
display the video image. To verify this, try running xine with the XShm
video output plugin:

   xine -V XShm

If that works fine, you just proved, that the Xv extension is buggy."

so does it mean that the xv extension is buggy?
Do I need to make a bug report.
At least this is on the record for next guy having problems.

xine video playback has been working flawlessly in debian-sarge.
Obviously there not using xorg though.

Lex.