Fedora COre 2 install failue

Melinda Taylor melinda.taylor at unsw.edu.au
Thu Aug 5 22:51:21 UTC 2004

Hello,

I am currently trying to install Fedora Core 2 on a shuttle Zen ST62k
mini PC.
I have successfullly installed fedora core 2 on various other models of
the shuttle
but am having some troubles with this one.

I am also having trouble finding out exactly what is going wrong with
the install.

It seems to get as far as installing the software and then either ends
with "Installation aborted abnormally"
or sometimes it has a kernel crash.

The last messages I see on the ALT-F3 screen are:

Trying to mount hda1 on /
isys.py mount()going to mount /tmp/hda1 on /mnt/sysimage.
etc
no pcic controller detect
needed e2fsprogs for /
needed e2fsprogs for /boot
etc
moving (1) to step install packages
setting file_context_path to nil

Sorry this is my transcription on a piece of paper so I didn't write
down all the messages.
Is there anythig wrong in the above messages?

I can see the access light flashing on the HDD so I know it is copying
software to the HDD.
It then fails with the installation aborted abnormally message or
something similar
which doesn't leave me alot to go on.

Sometimes, it does kernel crash - is there anyway I can actually read
this message of captur it?
It scroll off the screeen so fast.

The specs for the SHuttle zen are below. It seems to detect all the
hardware just fine when booting off the fedora CD's
Is there any other info I can grab to help debug this problem?

Many Thanks,

Melinda

Chassis       (L)280*(W)190*(H)170 2.1Kg (N.W.) 5.2Kg (G.W.)

Front Panel     USB * 2,&" Line in * 1, Line out * 1, MIC * 1

Back Panel     PS/2 Keyboard & Mouse * 1, USB * 2, 1394a * 2, SPDIF -out
port, SPDIF -in port, TV-out Port * 1, RJ45 * 1, CMOS button, DC power
outlet, VGA port, COM port

Extension Bay     5.25" * 1, 3.5" * 2

Mainboard     FT62
Form Factor: Shuttle Form Factor
CPU Socket: Intel Socket 478 for Pentium 4 & Celeron 400/533/800MHz FSB
Chipset: North bridge: ATI RS300 South bridge: ATI IXP150
Memory Socket: DDR 200/266/333/400 x 2
On Board VGA: Intergrate high performance ATi Radeon 9100
On Board Audio: Intergrated Realtek 650F 6 Channel Audio
Expansion Slot: PCI x 1
IDE Interface: ATA-100

Power     180W External Power Supply

Hot Features     I.C.E. Technology CPU Heat-pipe
180W Ultra Silent External Power Supply
Intel Hyper Threading Support
ATI Radeon chipset