[OT] procmail recipe advice for spamassassin

Alexander Dalloz alexander.dalloz at uni-bielefeld.de
Thu Aug 5 22:58:38 UTC 2004

Am Do, den 05.08.2004 schrieb D. D. Brierton um 23:57:

> Could anyone give me some quick advice on writing a procmail recipe? I'm
> currently running spamd as a service and procmail filters messages
> through spamc by including this line:
>
>         INCLUDERC=/etc/mail/spamassassin/spamassassin-spamc.rc
>
> This works great, especially in conjunction with bayesian filtering
> using sa-learn on false negative and positives (well I've only ever had
> one of the latter). But a lot of the spam I receive has a ridiculously
> high spam score, for example 28.0! Messages with such a high score
> should just get dumped in /dev/null. What would you suggest is a
> sensible and safe minimum score for something to go into /dev/null? 12?
> 15? Higher?

I wouldn't at all put anything to /dev/null automatically. Just let it
write to an mbox file or Maildir which you once a week or every 2 weeks
observer with just a few, quick looks. Then, if nothing good in it, kill
all confirmed SPAM.

I would start at about 5 or 6 points by SA to normal SPAM folder, up to
15 points to a certain SPAM folder, up from 15 to a very certain SPAM
folder. In your .procmailrc you have to let the message pass the rules
from high SPAM level check to lower level.

> Now, as for the recipe. I'm guessing it should go something like this
> (if 15 is the score -- I'm assuming each asterix represents 1 point):
>
>         :0 H
>         * ^X-Spam-Level:\s-*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*
>         /dev/null

is correct syntax.

> What I *think* my regexp above says is 'match a line beginning (^) with
> "X-Spam-Level:" followed by any amount of white space (\s-*) followed by
>
> Any comments or advice? I don't want this to eat my brane.
> Best, Darren

You know that the SpamAssassin website has exactly fitting documentation
about that?

http://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/UsedViaProcmail

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 2 (Tettnang) kernel 2.6.7-1.494.2.2smp
Serendipity 00:50:12 up 1 day, 18:17, load average: 0.14, 0.25, 0.20