[OT] procmail recipe advice for spamassassin

D. D. Brierton darren at dzr-web.com
Thu Aug 5 23:17:39 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-08-05 at 23:58, Alexander Dalloz wrote:
> I wouldn't at all put anything to /dev/null automatically. Just let it
> write to an mbox file or Maildir which you once a week or every 2 weeks
> observer with just a few, quick looks. Then, if nothing good in it, kill
> all confirmed SPAM.

I guess that will be the right thing to do initially, to test it's
working. But eventually I want anything that is 99.9% probable spam to
go straight to the bit bucket. It isn't *that* time consuming to check
through spam to make sure it really is spam, but I've realised recently
that it makes me really really annoyed (at the spammers) and I could
just do without that.

> I would start at about 5 or 6 points by SA to normal SPAM folder, up to
> 15 points to a certain SPAM folder, up from 15 to a very certain SPAM
> folder. In your .procmailrc you have to let the message pass the rules
> from high SPAM level check to lower level.

That's okay. I let Evolution filter into a Junk folder on the header:

The procmail extra recipe I'm considering below is to prune the size of
that folder, so I don't have so much annoying cr*p to check over.

> > Now, as for the recipe. I'm guessing it should go something like this
> > (if 15 is the score -- I'm assuming each asterix represents 1 point):
> >
> >         :0 H
> >         * ^X-Spam-Level:\s-*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*
> >         /dev/null

> is correct syntax.

Right. So I don't have to worry about whether there is one or more
spaces in between the colon (":") and the first asterisk ("*")?

> You know that the SpamAssassin website has exactly fitting documentation
> about that?
>
> http://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/UsedViaProcmail

Sorry. No, I really didn't and I *did* google this before posting. For
some reason it didn't show up.

Thanks Alexander for the feedback. It's much appreciated.

Best, Darren

D. D. Brierton            darren at dzr-web.com          www.dzr-web.com