How to edit partition labels?

netmask netmask at enZotech.net
Thu Aug 5 23:51:43 UTC 2004

>> Also, you must use initrd to use labels in fstab
>
> This is not true. An initrd is only _required_ if you have not compiled
> into the kernel a module necessary for boot.

I'm sorry, but that's just not the case.

You /must/ have a ram disk to use a label on your boot partition. Think about
it for a second, it makes perfect sense.

http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/enterprise/RHEL-3-Manual/sysadmin-guide/s1-kernel-initrd.html

If the system uses the ext3 file system, a SCSI controller, or uses labels to
reference partitions in /etc/fstab, an initial RAM disk is needed. The initial
RAM disk allows a modular kernel to have access to modules that it might need
to boot from before the kernel has access to the device where the modules
normally reside.