Problem on Gnome Desktop and FORCE upgrade

D. D. Brierton darren at dzr-web.com
Fri Aug 6 00:27:57 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-08-06 at 01:12, Stephen Liu wrote:

> I can change theme without problem.  I don't know how
> to add Gnome applications to the start-menu.  I have
> been playing around without a solution.  I have done
> this in many occasions on other distro including RH
> without problem.

Are you sure they aren't there? Did you know that in GNOME 2.6 a
decision (I thought the correct one, but it generated some controversy)
was made to leave out the application names for default applications
from the menu? So, for instance, gedit is in the menu as Accessories ->
Text Editor, because it is the GNOME default text editor. *Other* text
editors get a name like "Emacs Text Editor". Same for evolution, which
is the default mail app, and so it is in the menu as Internet -> Email.

> No, I haven't run
>
> rpm -Uvh --force gnome

Sorry. I re-read your original post. You *tried* to, but it failed. In
which case your system is fine, except you have some missing
dependencies. One application that I know is great for solving
dependency issues with already installed applications is Red Carpet.

Download the following RPMs:
http://slightly.off.net/rc-fc2/rcfc2/fedora-2-i386/rcd-2.2.0.91-0.vv.0.1.i386.rpm
http://slightly.off.net/rc-fc2/rcfc2/fedora-2-i386/red-carpet-2.2.3-0.vv.0.1.i386.rpm
http://slightly.off.net/rc-fc2/rcfc2/fedora-2-i386/rug-2.2.0.90-0.vv.0.1.i386.rpm

rcd is the Red Carpet Daemon. red-carpet is the GUI client, and rug is
the command line client.

Install them by opening a terminal and issuing the following command in
the directory to which you downloaded the RPMs:

su
rpm -Uvh rcd*.rpm red-carpet*.rpm rug*.rpm
/sbin/service rcd start
exit

System Tools -> Red Carpet -> Actions -> Verify System Dependencies

That should give you a way to install what you are missing.

Best, Darren

D. D. Brierton            darren at dzr-web.com          www.dzr-web.com