force file attributes

A.J. Bonnema abonnema at xs4all.nl
Fri Aug 6 06:16:57 UTC 2004

Micheal wrote:
> On Fri, 2004-08-06 at 00:43, A.J. Bonnema wrote:
>
>>Micheal wrote:

>>>Via the great "man cp" ...
>>>
>>>-p     same as --preserve= mode, ownership,
>>>timestamps
>>>--preserve[=ATTR_LIST] preserve   the   specified   attributes
>>>(default:  mode,owner-ship,timestamps) and security contexts, if
>>>possible  additional attributes: links, all
>>>
>>>This should do it for you
>>>
>>>HTH
>>>
>>>Micheal
>>>

>>Hi Michael,
>>
>>Thanks for you answer, but I need the opposite. I want the write
>>attribute to be set even if the original file does not have the write
>>attibute set, depending on the target directory.
>>
>>Possible?
>>
>>Guus.
>>--
>>A.J. Bonnema, Leiden The Netherlands,
>>user #328198 (Linux Counter http://counter.li.org)
>

> A.J
>
> Sorry about that, Its late here in the US...
>
> I don't think there is going to be a one stop shop for that.  I tried
> googling but no luck there.
>
> You "could" write a bash script to copy the file and chmod +w it, that
> might save you a few keystrokes.
>
> Other than that I'm out of ideas
>
> Micheal

Ok, thanks for the effort, I suspected as much. I hoped there would be
some sticky bit (of which I still don't completely grasp the
functionality) that solved this....

I was wondering whether umask could do the job, but man umask is too
cryptic for me. I'll see if the ref guide of rh9 has any answers.

Guus.