SB Audigy now (mostly) works

Rahul Sadotra rssadotra1 at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Aug 6 10:08:50 UTC 2004

Hello,

Thank you Markus and Aaron for your responses.

wrote:

> >>The only thing that doesn't work is CD playing.  I
> >>still can't get CD output from the speakers (even
> >>though I have put both CD and Audigy CD dials to
full
> >>volume), although I can get CD output through
> >>headphones and change volume through headphone
volume
> >>control on my CD-RW and DVD-ROM drives (Which I
> >>believe was suggested).
> >>

> >Have you tried using xmms's digital audio
extraction?
> > Have you checked
> >the analog multimedia cable(s) between the drive(s)

> > and your
> > soundcard?
>

> Or fitting the cable between CD-Player and
> motherboard? It sounds
> stupid, but I was that stupid who forgot that ;-)
I know that all cable connections are correct in my
machine because I can get CD music output in Win XP
(my PC is dual boot) through speakers whether I use my
CD-RW or DVD-ROM drive.  Plus, I got CD music through
my speakers when I used Red Hat Linux 9 (again, it
worked on either drive).

As I already mentioned I upgraded RH 9 to Fedora Core
2.  This solved the problem I had of using CD-RWs on
my machine on my particular CD-RW drive (it used to
take a really long time to mount any CD-RW) that I had
- I have no such problems in Fedora Core 2, for CD-RWs
can now be mounted very quickly.  I think the change
in kernel from 2.4.x to 2.6.x helped a lot there.

Unfortunately, CD music in Fedora Core 2 can only be
listened to through headphones at the moment.  But
I'll be okay with that.

Yes, when I use XMMS's CD extraction tool and cdda2wav
to create WAV files there is no problem playing music.

Incidentally, my CD-RW drive is a TEAC CD-W524E, and
my DVD-ROM drive is a LG DRD-8160B.

I should have mentioned my PC is dual boot in my first
post.

Thanks,

Rahul