Inappropriate content in Fedora Core 2

Cris Rhea crhea at mayo.edu
Fri Aug 6 15:31:55 UTC 2004

> From: Joel Jaeggli <joelja at darkwing.uoregon.edu>
>
> Don't assume that the social standards that apply to your workplace can be
> applied globally to other workplaces, or locales. you have to do what's
> right for you, and you have source, so you can do something about it.
>

> If what you want is a glsanke without the penis you can always comment it
> out and recompile...
>
> there are 287 built-in models in glsnake just off hand off hand I'd say
> slightly less than a 1/3 are long and pointy.

Of the postings on this topic, this was the most useful (actually giving the
"offending" screensaver).

The original author's question wasn't about freedom of speech, the merits
of political correctness, or changing jobs-- it was about identifying
packages distributed in FC2 that contain "offensive material".

You folks are missing the boat!  While it is true that standards for
"offensive material" are not universal, I think most folks understand what
is appropriate and what is not in the workplace for most US-based companies.

If you (meaning the entire community) want to make Linux a serious option
for corporate computing, you need to take these sorts of questions seriously
and not blow them off as "overly prudish".  Large corporations take
sexual harassment claims very seriously and having screen-savers with a
penis floating around doesn't do the "ready for corporate computing" image
of Linux any good.

My $0.02...

--
 Cristopher J. Rhea                     Mayo Foundation
 Research Computing Facility             Pavilion 2-25