Inappropriate content in Fedora Core 2

MOLINA,TOM tmolina at cablespeed.com
Fri Aug 6 18:36:40 UTC 2004

>The problem here is that what was probably inserted as a
>cute little
>joke could have ramifications on a corporate user, not
>necessarily
>because the user is affected, but because some
>easily-offended coworker
>sees a screensaver that the user did not even know
>contained such
>material. And, yes this is Fedora and not Red Hat
>Enterprise; but I use
>Fedora Core 2 at work, not Red Hat Enterprise, and if
>it's going to have
>something that might offend someone's delicate
>sensibilities, I'd like
>to know so that I can decide whether or not to take
>appropriate
>measures.

The problem is not just with Fedora Core; it is also in
RHEL 3.  I am introducing RH into a culture only used to
Solaris and Windows, so my Linux activities get a lot of
attention from my co-workers.  I have the coolest
screensavers on my desktop RHEL machine.  However, I was
embarrased one day when a vulgar word was pointed out to
me in the barcodes screensaver.  I decided to recompile
and distribute a new version of the screensaver to the few
boxes around.

It wasn't that anyone was offended, but it was certainly
not "professional".  It isn't appropriate for a commercial
setting, especially in an environment where our customers
are government and military.