Using 2.4 Kernel instead of 2.6

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at sbcglobal.net
Fri Aug 6 20:28:46 UTC 2004

James Wilkinson wrote:
> Jim Cornette wrote:
>
>>You have the change /dev/input/mice to /dev/psaux in order for the mouse
>>to work in the xorg.conf file.
>>
>>It works for me with an upgraded FC1 to FC2 system.  Also, you need to
>>change it back when you want to switch back to a 2.6 kernel.
>>
>>JIm
>
> This depends on the sort of mouse you use. That's correct for PS/2, but
> IIRC, you have to specify the appropriate serial port for serial mice,
> and I believe /dev/input/mice worked for USB mice. (But it's been a
> while since I ran 2.4 on a system with a mouse...)
>
> James.

I have all systems w/ ps2 mice. The synaptics touchpad is recognized as
a ps2 mouse also.

You are right! It is system dependent.

The best answer would probably be to compare what your settings were on
a 2.4 based distribution and use the same setting for xorg.conf in the
2.6 kernel based distribution.

I guess some systems still use serial mice also. - :-)

Thanks!
Jim

--
If it happens once, it's a bug.