listen to stream with xmms or mplayer

netmask netmask at enZotech.net
Fri Aug 6 21:40:34 UTC 2004

> Thanks for the reply , but the question is how can I know that I am using the
> correct MIME type ? where can I find info about the MIME files ?
> thanks

well..

The remote server is telling you that the type is 'audio/x-scpls'.. this is
defined in the MIME setting on the web server..  you have no control over
that. That seems to be standard usage..  So you use audio/x-scpls as your mime
type

as for more info on MIME... there's a LOT.

[M(ultipurpose) I(nternet) M(ail) E(xtensions).]

http://www.mhonarc.org/~ehood/MIME/MIME.html

Short for Multipurpose Internet Mail Extensions, a specification for
formatting non-ASCII messages so that they can be sent over the Internet. Many
e-mail clients now support MIME, which enables them to send and receive
graphics, audio, and video files via the Internet mail system. In addition,
MIME supports messages in character sets other than ASCII.

There are many predefined MIME types, such as GIF graphics files and
PostScript files. It is also possible to define your own MIME types.

In addition to e-mail applications, Web browsers also support various MIME
types. This enables the browser to display or output files that are not in
HTML format.

MIME was defined in 1992 by the Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF). A new
version, called S/MIME, supports encrypted messages.