FC2 and Serial ATA

Randy Kelsoe randykel at swbell.net
Sat Aug 7 00:00:36 UTC 2004

Mark Lane wrote:

>On August 6, 2004 01:13 pm, netmask <netmask at enZotech.net> wrote:
>

>>>- generally, if you're going to use on-board SATA, don't use IDE too.
>>>

>>I've never had any problem mixing them.. but this was on the 2.4.x line of
>>kernels.. I've not had to deal with SATA in 2.6
>>

>Which makes your previous post about FC2 and SATA irrelevant because you
>haven't used it.

I have been using an IDE disk to boot, and a SATA drive for a second
disk since RH9, and my setup has worked fine.

>>see previous thread.. after some kernel release they changed from IDE to
>>SCSI device driver
>>

>No that's not the case. FC2 uses libata primarily for SATA where as FC1 used a
>third party drivers that made the drives look like scsi devices.

Before libata, SATA drives were using the IDE drivers. With the 2.6
kernel, some SATA controllers and drives are using libata.

>Note Libata treats some controllers differently. For instance it treats via
>and silicon image controllers as IDE controllers and promise SATA raid
>controllers as SCSI. As such some drives show up as ide and some as SCSI
>depending on which controller they are hooked up to.

Until 2.6.7, my drive on a sil 3112 was detected as /dev/hde. With the
upgrade to 2.6.7, that changed, and now the drive is detected as /dev/sda.