separate NFS and download image hosts via DHCP?

Ow Mun Heng Ow.Mun.Heng at wdc.com
Sat Aug 7 12:02:59 UTC 2004

On Sat, 2004-08-07 at 03:56, Greg Wildman wrote:
> Robert P. J. Day said the following on 06/08/2004 15:03:
> >
> >   not clear from the man page, but is there a way to configure
> > /etc/dhcpd.conf to have separate hosts for both the NFS-mountable root
> > filesystem, and the downloadable boot image?
> >
> >   more generally, just how thoroughly can you segregate
> >
> > 1) the host providing DHCP service
> > 2) the host providing the boot image
> > 3) the host providing the NFS-mountable root FS?
>
> Putting NFS on another box is no hassle. When you do a network install
> via NFS just specify the host of your choice or put it in the kickstart
> file.
>
> As far as seperating DHCP and the boot image (TFTP) I have never tried
> but I think you need to use a DHCP proxy. Anyboby tried this before?

I'm not too sure. When I did it, everything was in 1 host. but I think
that this can be done this way..

1. NFS mounts can be in another host since you can use either kickstart
to script it or mount it manually.

2. The boot image is supposed to be provided in /tftpboot. However, I
would think that you can put a nfs mount pointing to the Boot Image too.
But as far as telling the Client to actually fetch it from the other
server, I'm not sure if that can be done. Nothing I've read has
suggested it made that way.

Mind if I ask you how come you want it that way??

See here for some general instructions on how I did it.
http://www.livejournal.com/users/lotso/1863.html

--
Ow Mun Heng
Fedora GNU/Linux Core 2 on D600 1.4Ghz CPU kernel