kernel

netmask netmask at enZotech.net
Sat Aug 7 15:25:54 UTC 2004

> is it safe to erase old kernel packages.i always use the latest smp one (i
> have a hyper threading processor).and is it also good idea to remove the non
> smp one (because i don' use it)

It is safe..  but for extra safety, I always leave a couple older kernels on
just incase i need to boot back. I always keep original BOOT kernel, and then
my SMP+Bigmem (over 2 gigs of ram)..  If you're multi proc or hyperthreaded, I
don't see any reason to keep the non-smp kernel.

But, I would save at least one last known working kernel while you use your
new one for a while.