rndc problem

Dino Nardini dino at rivendellsoftware.com
Sat Aug 7 15:35:18 UTC 2004

I've been using bind for dns services on my primary and backup servers for
years now, although it's been a while since I manually configured the
files.  I've been using the linuxconf admin tool to maintain the zone
lists.  Also keep in mind that I've been using bind 9.2.1 on a RH 7.2 box,
and I've never really had to deal with rndc or bind-chroot until yesterday.

I installed FC2 from iso images and initially accepted the default
install.  I plan to use this test box as a secondary dns only, and it was
only after I started adding secondary domain information that I noticed it
wasn't polling the main dns.  I tried forcing a zone update, and then
discovered the command channel problem.  I removed bind* and
caching-nameserver, and reinstalled with yum, but ran into the same problems.

Yes, I do have a firewall configured with iptables, and I tried opening
port 953 to localhost, but still could not get rndc to open a command
channel with bind-chroot installed.  Are there any other ports that I must
open for bind-chroot?

I've gone over the named.conf and rndc.conf files in detail, many times,
and everything checks out fine.  Also considering that it works fine
without bind-chroot installed indicates no problem with the key information.

I've narrowed the problem down to bind-chroot configuration, and am open to
suggestions at this point.  I've thought that it might be a firewall issue,
however I did open port 953 without success... perhaps another port I'm
overlooking?

Without bind-chroot installed:

$ netstat -tualpen | grep 953
tcp 0 0 127.0.0.1#953 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN 25 5068 2185/named

Cheers and thanks... Dino