xauth warning

netmask netmask at enZotech.net
Sat Aug 7 15:31:45 UTC 2004

>  Warning: No xauth data; using fake authentication data for X11 forwarding.
>
> This sounds like a possible security problem.  Does anyone know what this means?
> I am using window maker, so it is possible this is something that would be cared
> for automatically by gnome.

Turn on verbose flags when you ssh and see if it's complaining about missing
xauth..  (ssh -v -v user at box.com). make sure xauth is in your path too, or at
least that SSH knows where it is (You can specify in your sshd_config)

Alternatively, if you aren't doing X11 forwarding, you can disable it by
removin it from your config file or when you ssh do ssh -x user at box.com