"find" too slow on FC1's reiserfs file system

Guolin Cheng guolin at alexa.com
Sat Aug 7 20:59:45 UTC 2004

Hi,

 "find " runs far too slow on my reiserfs file system, on the file
system I have only 3.4 Million small files under 2500 directories. An
ext3 file system with the same contents tooks about 5 minutes for the
command "find /demoFileSystem -type f " to finish, while the same
command took forever on a reiserfs file system.

 It is against our general ideas of reiserfs file system.. I don't know
what's going on.

 The reiserfs file system is created with default parameters.
"mkreiserfs -label demoFS /dev/hdd1 ",  the entry in fstab is:
"/dev/hdc1               /demoFS                reiserfs defaults,nosuid
1 2", everything seems normal. When the machines reboots, it mounts
reiserfs with no problems.

 My base Linux system is FC1, my kernel is a vanilla 2.4.26 kernel, with
reiserfs built as a module.

 Any ideas?

 Thanks a lot.

 --Guolin Cheng