eth link up/down problems

Nathan Tuck ntuck1 at san.rr.com
Sun Aug 8 16:50:39 UTC 2004

Forgive me if this is not a fedora-specific problem, but I hadn't
noticed it in earlier versions of RedHat and have struck out with
extensive googling.

I'm running 32 bit x86 FC1 on an Opteron system.  Occasionally the hub
that my machine is connected to goes down.  When this happens, the link
status is detected as being down.  However when the hub comes back up,
the link status is never recognized as being "up".  As a result I have
to drive in to work and ifdown/ifup the link manually.

This seems to happen both with the on-board tg3 Broadcom 57xx gigabit
nics and with an Intel 100mbit adapter.

What's the best way to fix this?

Thanks,

Nathan