FC 2 up2date RPM error

Micheal sundance at sundanceloki.com
Sun Aug 8 20:38:06 UTC 2004

On Sun, 2004-08-08 at 15:10, Law Barstow wrote:
> I am trying to run up2date and receive an error, and am on FC 2 x86_64.
> I have run rpm --rebuilddb thinking there may have been a problem on my
> side.
>
> The output of up2date -u is:
>

> Testing package set / solving RPM inter-dependencies...
> There was a fatal RPM error. The message was:
> Error reading header
>

> Any suggestions?
>
> Thanks,
> Law

Law,

	Just a shot in the dark, but it sounds like you may have a corrupted
header file in the /var/spool/up2date directory.

What I would do first is run up2date -u -v to see if that tells me which
header file is bonking me out.  If that does not work, then you can cd
into that directory and run

ls -lt|less

this will list the files sorted descending by modification date. If you
know when you started receiving that error, you can delete all of the
.hdr files created after that point.

If that does not work then you can clear all of the .hdr files out of
that directory.  However up2date will have to redownload all of the
header files. Another alternative is to clear both .hdr and .rpm files
out of the directory

You may want to try yum or apt-get instead.  There are numerous how-to's
on the web.

HTH

Micheal