Emacs WebDev (was Re: HTML tools for linux)

D. D. Brierton darren at dzr-web.com
Sun Aug 8 22:22:42 UTC 2004

On Sun, 2004-08-08 at 20:18, Mark Eggers wrote:
> 4. Emacs
>
> Emacs is a powerful kitchen-sink type of editor.  If it can be edited, I
> think Emacs has a mode for it.  There is an html-helper-mode
> (http://www.santafe.edu/~nelson/tools/) and a css-mode
> (http://www.garshol.priv.no/download/software/css-mode/) that both work
> reasonably well.  Coupled with HTML Tidy (http://tidy.sourceforge.net/),
> it is possible to write clean, well-formed, maintainable web pages.
>
> Please note that emacs may take a bit of getting used to.  I personally
> live in Emacs except when editing small files (then it's vi), so I have
> no problem with this environment.

I've written up some instructions on setting up a web-development
environment using psgml and emacs here:

http://www.dzr-web.com/people/darren/projects/emacs-webdev/

>From the page:

        The following is intended to provide instructions for setting up
        an (X)HTML editing environment for Emacs suitable for Web
        Developers. It uses psgml-mode for SGML/XML editing in
        conjunction with the DTDs for (X)HTML from the W3C, and uses
        mmm-mode to define sub-modes for Javascript (using
        javascript-generic-mode), CSS (using css-mode), and PHP (using
        php-mode). It also provides support from within Emacs for HTML
        Tidy.

Comments welcome.

Best, Darren

D. D. Brierton            darren at dzr-web.com          www.dzr-web.com