Fedora Install on IBM Thinkpad T22 Laptop Networking Problem

steflik steflik at binghamton.edu
Mon Aug 9 01:02:11 UTC 2004

I just loaded Fedora Core 2 on my IBM Thinkpad T22 P3 900Mhz laptop and
am having some problems. First of all I've been a redHat user for about
three years and not going from Windows to Fedora, I'm going from RedHat
9.1 to Fedora Core 2 and the RedHat install I had worked great from the
initial install through the Fedora install (today).

First, I can't get the networking to connect to the network (the NIC it
seems to have picked is somthing I don't recognize and when I try to
reconfigure it for the NIC I know is in it...Nada.  Also, I tried to set
up for my Linksys wireless 802.11G network card and I can't find a
driver for it in the driver list.

Just to prove that the NIC hadn't gone bad I booted my KNOPPIX Linux CD
and the networking stuff worked perfectly.

I'm on the faculty in the Computer Science Department at Binghamton
University and have been trying to convert all of my Windows based
students over to Linux  and need to have this Laptop working as best as
it can as I use it for classroom presentations and demonstrations. I
hate to go back to RedHat 9.1  and KNOPPIX has its own set of
shortcomings; from the reviews I 've read Fedore Core 2 sounds like
it'll fit the bill.

Dick Steflik
Department of Computer Science
Binghamton University