Not able to boot Fedora 2 after ghosting XP

Shawn javajunkie at koyuru.com
Tue Aug 10 06:41:54 UTC 2004

> I will explain stetup, machine has 3 harddrives "disk 0(C) is all XP", "disk 1(G) is all ghost of XP", "disk 2 is all linux", the ghost I >fixed XP with was done before I installed Fedora Core 2 , after ghosting the linux installation is OK on its own harddrive but the boot >choice has gone, and starts into XP by default, I can enter rescue mode in Linux by using original installation DVD I downloaded.  I >tried by using Grub prompt to grub-install /dev/hdc. message was "unrecognized command". I do not know enough about Linux to do >anymore, one way is to reinstall but this is not me I want to repair

Before installation were you aware of the xp dual boot bug?

I believe you mentioned that xp wouldn't load, which is what the bug causes.

Since you ghosted it to fix xp, grub was erased.

So you would need to reinstall grub.

I would see http://lwn.net/Articles/86835/ for how to start the installer to get around it (the bug I mean).

Although I am not exactly sure how to just install grub... I would google on that.  If you do end up using the installer, I would do as the article above mentions.

--
Shawn

Karma is immutable, so act accordingly!