[FC2] Can I disable these "unnecessnary" services?(a bit long)

Edward edward at tripled.iinet.net.au
Tue Aug 10 07:26:18 UTC 2004

Patrick Chiang wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Almost all people will suggest me to turn off those unnecessnary
> services after installation, but what kind of services should be
> considered as "uncessnary"?

I'd just like to say this is a very good question, and one I've often
pondered myself.

Every newer version (Redhat 5.x up to FC2), seems to have more and more
services turned on by default. And, like a lot of other people I'm sure
we'd like to turn off the ones we don't use (I mean, if CPU speed is
meant for laptops, why is it running on my desktop?). I also have not
turned off a lot of them because I haven't a clue what they do, and I
don't want to break the system.

Does anyone know of a list which specifically lists all services, what
they do, and typical people that would/wouldn't need them?

If such a thing does not exist, instead of these few posting (which are
not complete ofcourse) on a mailing list, maybe we should create a
"services reference sheet"?

I bumped up against the same thing on Microsoft (40 non direct
application processes running), and broke things trying to turn them
off. It would be kinda cool to actually have a grasp on these kinds of
things.

Regards,
Ed.