Fedora and video player plug-ins

Stanley Allely eod76 at axint.net
Tue Aug 10 11:18:31 UTC 2004

Hi folks,
I'm just curious about why there are no video player plug-ins with the
RH/FC distros.  It seems like there are lots of choices for other items
included, and I know that of other distros, some include both Xine and
Mplayerplug-in, others include one of them, but not RH/FC.  I realize
there are licensing issues with Real Player, but aren't Xine and
Mplayerplug-in as much F/OSS items as Open Office?  Seeing the Mplayer
thread makes me think it would be really nice to have it included on the
install disc/s.  I had a lot more issues installing Mplayer than I did
Clamav (surprisingly).  I also realize there are legal issues about the
dvd decoding libs., but that is an easy download and install compared to
installing and getting the player working.
Thanks, Stan