Automatically mounting USB flash disks/ USB thumb drives

Daniel Stonier snorri_dj at operamail.com
Tue Aug 10 12:35:12 UTC 2004

Another way to do it is use the automounter. For example, to automount at
/mnt/usb/flash

- Create a mount point (directory): /mnt/usb
- Edit auto.master to include the line
  		/mnt/usb 	/etc/auto.usb  --timeout 5
- Copy auto.misc to auto.usb
- Comment/delete everything out in auto.usb and include the line
		flash		-fstype=ext3		:/dev/sda1
   (Change fstype to whatever you have, I typically format my usb drives as
soon as I get them)
- Then run, service autofs start (might want to start this up at bootup,
easy to run redhat-config-services)

To use it, all you need do is enter the directory /mnt/usb/flash, it will
mount it upon entering it, and unmount it
5 seconds after you leave it.

Might not be exactly what you need, but its an idea that suits my purposes
fine.

Cheers,
Daniel Stonier.

email:snorri_dj at operamail.com