FC2 using VIA (VT8233) card cannot play wave files (CONTINUE)

techlist at voyager.phys.utk.edu techlist at voyager.phys.utk.edu
Tue Aug 10 21:46:49 UTC 2004

Sorry..the last message got sent accidentally, anyway, here's the complete
message.

Hi all,
I have a FC2 fresh installation. After the install, running
system-config-soundcard gave a good test sound, and it seemed to work. Then I
installed xmms-mp3 using yum. I dont remember if I tested the sound after that.

After switching to KDE, I found out that most application that uses sound,
except xmms, does not work. I thought this has something to do with artsd, so I
killed artsd, and even went back to Gnome. It didn't help.

So basically, here is what works and dont:
1. xmms works provided I chose ALSA on the output plugin
2. playing CD audio with something like kscd works
3. playing ogg123 doesn't work, just give staticky noise. This is true whether I
use gnome, which make ogg123 runs with ALSA driver, or KDE -> ogg123 runs with
Artsd
4. Playing any wave files with 'playwave' does not work, give staticky noise
5. system-config-soundcard "Test" button only gives static noise also

Here's what system-config-soundcard says what my soundcard is:
VIA Technologies
Model: VT8233/A/8235/8237 AC97 Audio Controller
Module: snd-via82xx

I think the right module is loaded when I checked using 'lsmod', but I can give
the complete output of lsmod if necessary (don't want to send unnecessary big
list right now).

Any help solving this problem or troubleshoot it will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Reuben D. Budiardja