Installing grub - Vol 6, Issue 109

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at sbcglobal.net
Wed Aug 11 02:02:44 UTC 2004

Carl Nicholls wrote:

>>------------------------------
>>
>>Message: 8
>>Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2004 16:53:58 +1000
>>From: "Wolfgang Gill" <wolfgang at rpi.net.au>
>>Subject: Re: Not able to boot Fedora 2 after ghosting XP
>>To: For users of Fedora Core releases <fedora-list at redhat.com>
>>
>>On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 13:11:11 +1000, Carl Nicholls wrote
>>
>>>I will explain stetup, machine has 3 harddrives "disk 0(C) is all XP",
>
> "disk 1(G) is all ghost of XP", "disk 2 is all linux", the ghost I fixed XP
> with was done before I installed Fedora Core 2 , after ghosting the linux
> installation is OK on its own harddrive but the boot choice has gone, and
> starts into XP by default, I can enter rescue mode in Linux by using
> original installation DVD I downloaded. I tried by using Grub prompt to
> grub-install /dev/hdc. message was "unrecognized command". I do not know
> enough about Linux to do anymore, one way is to reinstall but this is not me
> I want to repair.

The secret is that you have to run "chroot /mnt/sysimage after you get
the prompt. This will give you the environment of your Fedora installation.

After your rescue disk finds the Fedora installation and mounts it under
/mnt/sysimage. After you chroot into the system, running "grub-install
/dev/hda" (or whatever your boot disk is recognized as), grub should
come up after you reboot your computer. Typing "reboot" should bring
your computer around and display grub.

Jim

--
If bankers can count, how come they have eight windows and only four
tellers?