kernel 2.6.7-1.494.2.2 problems in FC2

Phil Dybvig fedora at ducksoup.afree.net
Wed Aug 11 06:01:10 UTC 2004

Petr --

>1 problem) my SATA drive is too slow now (14MB/s - by hdparm)
>        new 2.6.7 kernel uses SCSI emulation [/dev/sda]
>        previous 2.6.6 kernel (50 MB/s) uses standard way [/dev/hda]
>(ATA?)

My drives were renamed too, but I am not sure they were slower.  I
just assume the are being mounted differently (hopefully for a good
reason that will improve performance or stability) in the new kernel.
How did you use hdparm to check the drive speed?  I didn't see how
from the manual page.  I would like to run some tests to see whether
the drives are really faster under the old kernel.

Note that renaming drives disabled my swap space (see my earlier post)
because /etc/fstab no longer know how to find the swap partition.  Without
correct, that might degrade drive performance.

>2 problem) boot process hangs on kudzu service (I must skip them for
>successful boot)

This happened to me early on (maybe because of problems with the network
card).  I fixed it by turning off the kudzu boot service (kudzu can be
run by hand if you add software).  As root

  chkconfig kudzu off

In general FC2 has lots of services turned on for booting that most
people don't need (at least with a full install).  After turning off
all services I don't obviously need, my machines boot in a fraction
of the time.

-- Phil