FC1 user dissapointed

James Wilkinson james at westexe.demon.co.uk
Wed Aug 11 12:25:34 UTC 2004

Felix Mathais wrote:
> I poisted my problem some time ago. It is a problem which prevents me
> from using FC2, becuase it does not recognize my network card.
>
> I am wondering that noibody has the curtesy to answer me. I would like
> to upgrade to FC2, but I need my network running

Copied to Felix and to the list.

Eh?

You've posted at least twice, and got several replies (including one
from me). I can't see any response by you to any of them.

Were you expecting people to e-mail you directly with replies? It
doesn't normally work like that.

Trouble-shooting on a mailing list works a *lot* better as a public
business. And that means that you have to be prepared to work with the
mailing list. Apart from anything else, this means that if I give you
incorrect or incomplete information, someone else can pick me up on it,
and if I give correct information, it's there in the archives where it
can help other people.

If you do want responses e-mailed to you as well, the correct thing to
do is to set a "Reply-To" header in your e-mail client. The list
software will add in the list address, and responses will go to both
places. It's still up to you to direct any further replies with
technical content to the list: many people (including me) will be
reluctant to privately e-mail any help.

(And that's why responses normally only go to the list: recipients
are likely to read private e-mails first, click "Reply" (or whatever),
and the reply only goes to the sender. So people tend to only send to
the list, where further responses will normally go to the list.)

I don't know if or how you select "Reply-To" on yahoo.co.uk. You can
always simply ask people to CC you.

Hope this helps,

James.

--
E-mail address: james | ... and watched Richard Stallman ask one of the
@westexe.demon.co.uk  | waiting staff whether the spring rolls did indeed