FC2 Ethernet and Wireless settings

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Wed Aug 11 13:57:10 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-08-11 at 00:18, Peter Smith wrote:

> Yes, I have a Latitude CPx J650.
>
> >Not sure if this is part of the problem or not, but for all of your
> >PCMCIA cards make sure you uncheck the box that says activate at boot in
> >the network configuration window.  This is a known problem (which I
> >doubt will ever be fixed.)
> >

> Thanks, this fixed question 4, which I didn't ask yet.  The boot
> sequence tries to initialise eth0 before the pcmcia system, and so gets
> a bit upset.

Glad that one helped.  (this really needs to be fixed)

> I need to use a fixed IP at work, for various reasons.  I will try DHCP
> at home, though.

I think there is way to configure different network profiles and then
select which one you want to use.  Have not done this myself but I found
this which may get you going the right direction.

http://www.linuxgazette.com/book/view/1754

> I have it working, except that sometimes I can't see past the gateway.
> I haven't seen any consistent explanation for that yet - poke around a
> bit and it comes good with identical settings AFAIKS.

The best place to look is using netstat -rn which will list your routing
information.  Make sure the default gateway is set correctly and that
you can ping it.

Is it possible you are using a duplicate IP address?  If you happen to
grab an IP that another machine is using the gateway would send reply
packets to the other device until its arp cache is flushed or forced to
re-arp at which time your machines MAC address would be added to its arp
cache.  Then you would have access through the gateway.

> I would like to see Kevin's scripts too.  Is there anything on ifconfig,
> iwconfig and route for beginners?  Google helped me get this far, but I
> don't really know what I am doing :-).

Check the man pages on the system.  Lots of good info there.  Make sure
you have resolv.conf configured correctly.  It needs to contain the DNS
servers IP addresses either for your ISP at home or for your works DNS
servers depending on which network you are on.

DHCP will usually provide that information if you are able to use DHCP.

--
Scot L. Harris <webid at cfl.rr.com>