New Hard Disk

Alexander Dalloz alexander.dalloz at uni-bielefeld.de
Wed Aug 11 15:25:22 UTC 2004

Am Mi, den 11.08.2004 schrieb James Pifer um 17:12:

> I have a system with a 20gig drive. I'd like to move the whole install
> to another drive, 120 gig, so I can use the 20 gig drive in another
> system. I have the 120 gig drive installed right now as a slave.
>
> Can I?:
> 1) Create the same partitions on the new drive (boot, /, and swap)
> 2) boot off Knoppix and mount all the drives, 20 GB and 120 GB
> 3) use cp and copy the data from the 20 to the 120
> 4) remove the 20 and make the 120 the primary and only drive
> 5) reinstall(or restore) grub on the 120

This will work. Just take care that the new partition scheme does fit
the current fstab. But it is not big deal to adjust the fstab if you
decide for a different partition layout.

> Is there an easier way to do this with both drives in the same machine?

If you already have a Knoppix CD your scenario is good, plain and easy.
Of course you could boot your existing Fedora system into runlevel 1 and
do the same copying from the running system. Then you have to care for
not copying /proc and some not so important data will maybe fail to be
copied.

http://www.partimage.org/ may be an alternate.

> If I should it the way I described are there specific parameters I
> should use with cp to make sure all the correct rights go along as well?

"cp -a" is enough; of course you could work with tar too, with syntax
like this:

(tar cplf - --atime-preserve --same-owner
--exclude=/proc/*,/home/*,/var/spool/mail/*,/tmp/* /) | (tar xplf -
--atime-preserve --same-owner -C /mnt/root)

[this is a one liner, directories just examples; taken from my own
backup script]

> James

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 2 (Tettnang) kernel 2.6.7-1.494.2.2smp
Serendipity 17:17:30 up 7 days, 10:45, load average: 0.02, 0.18, 0.23