Authentication: NIS vs LDAP

Brian Fahrlander brian at fahrlander.net
Wed Aug 11 17:22:55 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-08-11 at 10:55, Ralf Corsepius wrote:

> Try permutations of "NIS yppasswd howto"

    Did.  Most of what I find is for Sun, FreeBSD or Redhat (yay!)
6.2-7.3 (boo!).  I've been seeking the parts of the exact error message,
and 2-3 people have the same problem under older setups, but no answer
was ever published.  It pretty much looks like the project is headed the
way of Sun, itself...but on the upside, my recognition of Finnish or
Danish is getting slightly better.  :>

> >     Has anyone done this, and do you have a HOWTO you like for this?
> http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/docs/HOWTO/other-formats/html_single/NIS-HOWTO.html

    Yep, home-sweet-home.  No dice.

> Other potential sources of issues interfering here:
> * firewalls (system-config-security, shorewall)
    Not applicable.

> * /etc/nsswitch.conf
    ...with a fine-toothed comb.

> * /var/yp/Makefile.
    ...been there, too, including a comparison between the "make -C"
method and the "service ypserv" method.  No help.

    Funny thing is, using the same things just 3-4 months ago (before
FC1/2 as I recall) it worked on a RH8/LTSP setup....which I overlayed
with a new Fedora installtion, thinking I could do it again.

    Maybe the question is...does LDAP seem suitable for _authentication_
not just 'phonebook' usage?  Has anyone ere actually _tried_ it?  I've
made that work, too, for Evolution/Outlook...it's not too hard.

Brian Fahrländer                  Christian, Conservative, and Technomad
Evansville, IN                                 http://www.fahrlander.net
ICQ 5119262
AIM: WheelDweller