using pctel modem on FC2

Matthew Saltzman mjs at ces.clemson.edu
Wed Aug 11 18:09:21 UTC 2004

On Sun, 8 Aug 2004, Globe Trotter wrote:

> Hi,
>
>  I am using a Dell Latitude C850 with one of those internal PCTEL modems. Does
> anyone have any experience making these work with Linux?
>
> I remember that I could not get it to work with RH9 or with FC1 (I must concede
> I am a clumsy newbie(, but was wondering about FC2 and the 2.6.7.494 kernel.
> What do I need to do? This is important, because I will be gone for two weeks
> and will only have modem access (if at all) and I don't want to live with
> Windoze for my e-mail.
>
> Thanks and best wishes,
> GT

Last time I checked, Jan's PCTel driver wan't working with kernel 2.6.
You may be able to use the SmartLink driver (www.smlink.com).  Follow the
instructions for using the ALSA driver.

I'm using this driver right now on a Thinkpad T41 with aa PCTel modem, and
it's mostly just fine.

--
		Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences