starting point

J. Erik Hemdal ehemdal at townisp.com
Thu Aug 12 01:31:12 UTC 2004

> Message: 16
> Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2004 18:06:38 -0700 (PDT)
> From: "Mr. Oberoi" <oberoi_1 at yahoo.com>
> Subject: starting point
> To: fedora-list at redhat.com
>
> Hi guys,
> could you please list Some helpful resources to get me
> started on shell commands and programming!
> Much appritiated!

Deepak:  Here are some:

1.  If you have money and access to it, I recommend the book "UNIX Shells By
Example" by Ellie Quigley (Prentice-Hall is the publisher).  The text and
examples are solid; the index is worse than worthless (the third edition
index refers to pages in the second or earlier edition).

2. Assuming you have a default installation to begin, 'man bash' is your
friend.  The man pages tell you nearly everything you need, although in a
very terse way.

3.  Google will doubtless provide a wealth of examples, tutorials, and the
like.

4.  Look inside:  You will find a wide variety of interesting scripts all
over your installation if you look.

Erik