Trouble installing ATI drivers!

RoboticGolem roboticgolem at gmail.com
Thu Aug 12 02:17:46 UTC 2004

Ok, you dont need the patch on the new drivers from the ati site...
(I got this to work just the other night) However accel, dri, and hw
scale lock my system up.  So I'll tell you anyway.

Make sure you have the kernel source code installed.  Then install the
ati driver.  It'll give you flak about not having the drm something or
other.

Go to /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod

Dont patch it.

Go to 2.6.x

sh make.sh

it'll say its missing drm files, find where they are in your source
directory and copy them to /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod

now run make_install.sh  (should work at this point, if it doesnt, I
had to hack the Makefile and I'm doing this from memory, so if you
cant get it to work after this, email me and I'll give you the files I
altered to get this to work.)

thats when it worked for me.  Like I said, I should make a howto or
guide or something, but I dont quite remember what I did.  Thats what
I remember and I also remember messing with the makefile.  Lemme know
if this works either way so I know I'm explaining it right.