Documentation of services

Peter Smith pasmith at wbmpl.com.au
Thu Aug 12 03:11:50 UTC 2004

James Wilkinson wrote:

>Kevin Wang wrote:
>

>>You really want to leave service names the same. don't change them
>>gratuitously.  It confuses users.

<snip, snippety snip>

>So what's the best way to document these services? We've had suggestions
>of man pages: what else, besides third party web sites, is reasonable?
>

>>It's not nearly as simple as you might think.  For example, nfs
>>depends on 'portmap'.  imho dependencies like this need to be
>>expressed somehow, but the existing infrastructure doesn't do that.
>>

>I'm glad we agree!
>
>James.

As an ancient newbie, I'd like to add my pennyworth -

There must be a man page associated with each package name.
There should to be a man page associated with each command name.
Each man page associated with a package should identify all the commands
in the package ("See Also"), and (my pet gripe for this week) it should
identify all the files affected by the command ("Files").
I get annoyed at the way that the "hard bits" are being hidden from the
tender eyes of the non-coder, a la Windows, especially with respect to
the GUI interfaces.  And what's with this new-fangled "info" stuff, anyway?
</rant>  I feel better now..

Regards,
Peter Smith