What is smartd?

Ross Macintyre raz at macs.hw.ac.uk
Thu Aug 12 08:52:43 UTC 2004

Stephen C. Tweedie said:
> Hi,
>
> On Thu, 2004-08-12 at 04:35, zbert wrote:
>> During my boot sequence, this daemon always fails. Can anybody clue me
>> in as to what it is and how I might fix it?
>
> It's a monitor for IDE hard disks.  I've also seen it fail to start in
> some cases, but only on systems that don't actually have any IDE hard
> disks (CDroms don't count.)

Stephen, is it only for IDE disks or does it work for SCSI too?
It's just that I noticed in the /etc/smartd.conf file that you could
uncomment the line:
  /dev/sda -d scsi

Sorry for butting in here, but is there any use in having smartd running
one has a SCSI RAID system?

Thanks in advance,
Ross

Ross Macintyre (raz at macs.hw.ac.uk)