What is smartd?

Matt Morgan matt.morgan-fedora-list at brooklynmuseum.org
Thu Aug 12 13:54:02 UTC 2004

On 08/11/2004 11:35 PM, zbert wrote:

> During my boot sequence, this daemon always fails. Can anybody clue me
> in as to what it is and how I might fix it?
>
> --zbert

A lot of responses already, but I think there's one other reason why
smartd might fail: if SMART is disabled in your computer's BIOS
settings. smartd talks to the hardware to get info about the disks and
if it can't get a response from the hardware, it will fail to start. It
was a while ago, but I'm pretty sure that's what happened to me.