FC2 and Athlon64

Michael E. Webster mwebster at intercosmos.com
Thu Aug 12 17:07:09 UTC 2004

First, I'm sorry if this topic has been discussed before.

The other day I read the article from AnandTech.com discussing and
comparing the EM64T Xeon from Intel and the Athlon64 from AMD.

http://www.anandtech.com/linux/showdoc.aspx?i=2158

What caught my attention is that Fedora Core 2 refused to install on the
IA32e machine because there was no recognized AMD CPU.

Not having any experience whatsoever with either 64-bit processor, my
question is whether anyone has been able to get FC2 installed / working
with these.  Oh yeah, and is it stable?

I'm not new to linux or fedora, so this isn't a "hey, can fedora do
this?" thread.  I'm just looking for real world experiences.  I'm
constantly adding more servers, but don't want to spend money on
boxes that will only cause headaches.

Thanks,
Mike.